Thursday April 12, 2007
HONORS/AWARDS: * Tomsk Governor’s Award for Research Groups 2006.
* INTAS Young Scholar Fellowship 2006.
* Honorary Medal of the Tomsk State Pedagogical University 2006.
* Award of the Parliament of Tomsk region for Young Scientists 2006.
* Tomsk Governor’s Award for Young Researchers and Faculty 2005.
* NEH/NSF Documentation of Endangered Languages grant 2005.
* NSF Doctoral Dissertation Research Support grant 2003-2004.
* FEL 2004 field-research grant.
* Yale University ELF 2003 field-research grant.
* Rice University Presidential Fellowship for PhD studies 2000-04.
* Scholarship of the President of Russian Federation 1998-1999.
* Open Society Graduate Policy Fellowship 1999-2001.
* University Scholarship for Academic Excellence 1995-96.
* School newspaper & bulletin editing award 1989.
* Sport Awards 1985-1997.
SKILLS: Experienced with computer applications: Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel,
FrontPage; Dreamweaver, FTP, ToolBox, ELAN, IMDI.
LANGUAGES: Russian-native, fluent in English (TOEFL score 613); fair in German; communicate in
Eastern Khanty (Ostyak), elementary knowledge of Latin.
INTERESTS: Linguistics & Cultural Anthropology, Education, Active-Travel, Sports
PERSONAL: Teachers’ Trade Union - member, SSILA-member, LSA-member
8 Field research projects (participation and management).
18 Academic conferences, symposia, workshops & seminars (participation with talks).
21 Article- and Chapter-size publications in Linguistics, Anthropology & FL Teaching.
3 Article- and Chapter-size publications in press.
1998 “K voprosu o pricastii v vasjuganskom dialekte xantijskogo jazika”// Materiali 8 mezdunarodnoj konferentsii. 1998. Moscow.
1999 "Sootvetstvija v sintaksise vasjuganskogo dialekta xantijskogo jazika i protouralskix rekonstruktsij". Tomsk. TGPU. 1999.
2001 co-author Ossipova O.A. “The relicts of active typology in Khanty language.” Linguistica Uralica. Tartu. 2001.
2004 “Non-canonical agent-marking in Eastern Khanty: A functional-pragmatic perspective”.
Penn Working Papers in Linguistics. Volume 11.1. 2005.
2006 “The Eastern Khanty Loc-Agent Constructions. Functional Discourse-Pragmatic Perspective”. In: Demoting the Agent, Ed. Torgrim Solstad and Benjamin Lyngfelt. John Benjamins. Amsterdam-New York. 2006.
2006 “Continuity of Information Structuring Strategies in Eastern Khanty: Definiteness/ Topicality”. Procedures of the Lenca-2 International Linguistic Symposium. John Benjamins. Amsterdam-New York. - (in print)
Other significant publications:
1998 “Language as a source of information about traditional crafts of Khanty.” Proceedings of the XXI archeological and ethnographic Conference. Tomsk. (with Ossipova O.A.).
2000 “Indigenous people of western Siberia”// www.policy.hu/filtchenko 1999-2000.
2002 “Expendables of Modernization?” The anniversary collection of articles. Tomsk
2005 co-author P.Jordan. “Continuity and Change in Eastern Khanty Language and Worldview”. In
“Rebuilding Identities: Pathways to Reform in Post-Soviet Siberia" edit. Erich Kasten. Dietrich
2005 “Кorpusnaja Lingvistika i ee ispolzovanie v profilno-orientirovannom prepodavanii inostrannix jazikov”. Tomsk. TPU Press.
2007 “Landscape Perception and Sacred Places amongst the Vasyugan Khanty”. In.: Landscape and Culture in the Siberian North. Ed. Peter Jordan. University College London Press. (in press)
- Yale ELF-2003 project - pilot assembly of the Eastern Khanty narrative corpus and dictionary.
- Collaborative project in assembly of the database on western Siberian indigenous languages and cultures. Laboratory of Indigenous Languages of Siberia 1996-present.
- Policy studies in prerequisites for preservation of indigenous languages and cultures of western Siberia (OSI web-publication) 1998-2000.
- Curriculum development project at TPU, Tomsk Russia (ESL training policy) 2002.
- Curriculum development in linguistics and research methodologies (reader and course syllabi/manuscript) TGPU 2000-present.
- CD-ROM and Internet Catalogue of the Indigenous Collection at Tomsk Local Lore Museum. 2000-2003.
- Ethnomusicology Laboratory at Tomsk Laboratory of Indigenous Languages 2000-present.
- Tomsk Regional Association of Indigenous People of Siberia and Far East 1998-present.
Co-authors and project collaborators 1998-2004:
Dr. Olga A.Ossipova, Department of English Philology, Tomsk State University.
Dr.Peter Jordan, Department of Archeology, University of Sheffield.
Dr.Shalamova Nadezhda, Department of English, New Mexico State University.
Potanina Olga (MA), Department of Linguistics and cross-cultural communication, Tomsk Polytechnic University
Dr.Pirkko Suihkonen, University of Helsinki, Finland.
Dr.David Harrison, Swarthmore College, Pennsylvania, USA (Volkswagen Stiftung "Tofa" project)
Dr.Gregory Anderson, University of Oregon, Eugene, USA (Volkswagen Stiftung "Tofa" project)
MA thesis Dr. Olga A.Ossipova, Department of English Philology, Tomsk State Pedagogical University.
Ph.D. thesis Dr. Philip Davis Rice University
Dr. Masayoshi Shibatani Rice University
Dr. James Copeland Rice University
Dr. Stephen Tyler Rice University
Dr. Edward Vajda West Washington University
This site was created and copyrighted to Andrey Y. Filchenko, 03.20.2007