Dr. Ruben A. Mnatsakanian
Address: Central European University, Department of Environmental Sciences and PolicyNador u. 9, H-1051 Budapest, Hungary. Tel: (36 1) 327-3071 Fax: (36 1) 327-3031, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
1981-1984 Post-Graduate Student, Department of Geography, Moscow State University (PhD in 1985).
1976-1981 Student, Department of Geography, Moscow State University (MSc in 1981).
Since 2000 Head of Department of Environmental Sciences and Policy at CEU
Since Oct.1994 Associate Professor, Department of Environmental Sciences and Policy, CEU (Central European University), Budapest, Hungary
Jan-Sept. 1994 Visiting Research Fellow, IFEN (French National Institute forthe Environment), Orleans, France
Apr.1992-Dec.1993 Head of the Department, Russian Research Institute for Cultural and Natural Heritage, Moscow
Nov.1991-Mar.1992 Visiting Research Fellow, Centre for Human Ecology,University of Edinburgh, Scotland, UK
1984-Nov.1991 Research fellow, Department of Geography, Moscow State University
2001-2002 Visiting professor at MSc course in Environmental Policy at Bard College, NY, USA (during sabbatical leave from CEU)
since 1994 Associate Professor at the MSc course at the Department of Environmental Sciences and Policy, Central European University, Budapest, Hungary
1993 Teaching assistant at the summer course. Department of Environmental Sciences and Policy, Central European University, Budapest, Hungary
1987-1988 Part-time lecturer at the Institute for Teachers' Training, Moscow. Courses: Physical Geography, Global Ecological Problems, Natural Resources
1986-1988 Part-time lecturer at the Department of Geography, Moscow State University. Participation in courses: Physical Geography and Natural Resources of North America, Statistical Methods in Geography
1985-1989 Teaching assistant at the Department of Geography, Moscow State University
Scientific Conferences, Seminars:
- Environmental problems and
national tensions in the USSR. 1989. Hebrew University, Jerusalem,
UNEP-GEO-2 working seminars and meetings:
- Bilthoven, Holland, Jan. 1997
UNEP-GEO-3 working seminars and meetings
- Nairobi, Kenya, Nov. 1999
1988-1991 Co-founder and vice-president, ASEI (Association for the Support of Ecological Initiatives - NGO in Moscow).
Major activities: organization of round tables and discussion groups on environmental problems, summer schools and summer expeditions, public environmental impact assessments, facilitating contacts between NGO communities of former USSR and Western countries, etc.
1989-1992 Member of the Council on Unique Historic Territories of the Soviet Cultural Foundation.
Major activities: Organization and Participation in expeditions to the places of cultural and natural heritage in the Russian north, consultation of local experts, preparation of development plans for historic territories, etc.
1990-1994 Corresponding Member of the European Federation of Environmental Professionals (EFEP).
NGO Conferences, Seminars:
- Round table in the Moscow
State University on the acute environmental problems in the USSR. 1988.
(Total number is about 40)
1. Glasnost and Ecology (with I. Altshuler). Energia N11, 1987 (Journal of the Presidium of the USSR Academy of Sciences) [IN RUSSIAN].
2. Distribution of Heavy Metals in the Peat Bogs of European Russia as the Evidence of Air Pollution (with S.Badenkova and O.Dobrodeev). In: Experiment and modelling in the Studies of Forest and Bog Ecosystems, Moscow, 1988 [IN RUSSIAN].
3. Transboundary Atmospheric Pollution and the Problems of assessing its Damage (with G.Motkin and I. Altshuler). Moscow, edition VINITI, 1988 [IN RUSSIAN].
4. Materials of roundtables in the Moscow University (with I. Altshuler). Environment (the international journal), vol. 30, N12, 1988 [IN ENGLISH].
5. Geographical Characteristics of Migration Linkages in the Moscow Capital Region (with I.Molodikova and V.Velitchkin). Soviet Geography, vol.XXX, N5, 1989 (Chicago, USA) [IN ENGLISH].
6. Principles of Information about the State of the Environment in the USA (with M. Zaitsev). Information bulletin of the Research Centre "Ecologia", vol. 4, 1989 [IN RUSSIAN].
7. The Changing Face of Environmentalism in the Soviet Union (with I.Altshuler). Environment (the international journal). Vol. 32, N2, 1990 [IN ENGLISH].
8. Ecological Sovietology (with I. Altshuler). Energia (journal of the Presidium of the USSR Academy of Sciences). N 8, 1990 [IN RUSSIAN].
9. Environmental Impact Assessments and Changes in Public Ecological Movement in the USSR. Architectus (International Journal of Architecture), winter 1991 issue, St. Paul, USA [IN ENGLISH].
10. Glasnost, Perestroika and Eco-Sovietology (with I. Altshuler and Y. Golubchikov). In: Soviet Environment: Problems, Policies and Politics. Cambridge University Press, pp. 197-212, 1992. (Selected papers from the IV World Congress on Soviet and East European Studies, Harrogate, July 1990) [IN ENGLISH].
11. Environmental Legacy of the Former Soviet Republics. Book. 220 pages, 25 original maps. Published by the Centre for Human Ecology, University of Edinburgh, 1992 [IN ENGLISH].
12. Preservation of Heritage in Britain. (with S. Murashkina). In: Territoria, Journal on Cultural and Natural Heritage, N1, pp. 47-49, 1994 [IN RUSSIAN]
13. On the International Experience of Preservation of Cultural and Natural Heritage. Collection of Articles. Published by the Research Institute for Cultural and Natural Heritage. Editor-in-chief and author of preface and one article. Moscow, 1994 [IN RUSSIAN].
14. L'Héritage Écologique du Communisme. Book. 286 pages. (Revised and improved translation). Éditions Frison-Roche, Paris, 1994. [IN FRENCH]
15. Questions d'Écologie. Chapter in the book Les Sibériens. Éditions Autrement, Paris, 1994 [IN FRENCH]
16. Géographie et pouvoir en ex-URSS and Les cartes, instruments de pouvoir. Two chapters in the book Penser la Terre. Éditions Autrement, Paris, 1995 [IN FRENCH]
17. Environmental Health in the Countries of Central and Eastern Europe and Newly Independent States of the Former USSR. Chapter in the WHO Report "Concern for Europe's Tomorrow", pp. 446-463. WHO European Centre for Environment and Health, Copenhagen, Denmark 1995 [IN ENGLISH].
18. Contributions to Chapter 2 (Regional Perspectives) and Chapter 3 (Policy Responses and Directions) of the UNEP Global Environment Outlook Report (with E. Bellinger and D. Vorsatz), Oxford University Press, 1997 [IN ENGLISH]
19. Environmental Reporting in Central and Eastern Europe: A Review of Selected Publications and Frameworks (with N. Denisov and A. Semichaevsky). CEU "Re-Evaluation"... project/UNEP-DEIA Environment Information and Assessment Technical Report #6. Book. Budapest, 123 pages, 1997 [IN ENGLISH].
20. Poisoned Legacy. In: "Our Planet", The United Nations Magazine for Environmentally Sustainable Development, vol. 8, N 6, pp.8-12, 1997 [IN ENGLISH].
21. Contributions to: Global Environmental Outlook-2, Earthscan publications, London , UNEP (1999).
22. Chapter in : UNEP/RIVM (1999). J. van Woerden (ed). Data issues of global environmental reporting: Experiences from GEO 2000. (UNEP/DEIA&EW/TR.99-3 and RIVM 402001013)
23. Les Chantiers de’l Environnement a l”Est. Article with maps on ecological situation in CEE/NIS countries, Le Monde Diplomatique, July 2000 edition, (translated in 8 languages.)
24. Contribution to: Down to Earth: Soil Degradation and Sustainable Development in Europe. Environmental issue series N 16, UNEP/EEA, 2000, Copenhagen
25. Environmental Impact assessment in the Former Soviet Union in its Historical Context. In : Environmental Assessment in Countries in Transition, CEU Press, 2000, Budapest, pp. 12-17,
26. Contributions to: UNEP Global Environment Outlook- 3, Earthscan Publications, 2002, London
27. Economic Transition and Environmental Sustainability: Air Pollution and Industrial Restructuring in the Russian Federation. (forthcoming in 2003, with A. Cherp, I.Kopteva,). Accepted for Journal of Environmental Management.